Connect with us

Latest News

Environmentalists predict that Navi Mumbai’s IT hub won’t be environmentally friendly

Published

on

According to local environmentalists, the planned IT project in the Navi Mumbai Special Economic Zone (NMSEZ) will be disastrous since it will be built on mangroves and wetlands in Uran. The state government authorised the creation of an Integrated Industrial Authority with 85% commercial and 15% residential usage in the NMSEZ earlier this year.

The chief minister and the Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MOEFCC) have received complaints from NatConnect Foundation about the allocation of large areas of mangrove zones and wetlands to NMSEZ by CIDCO. In addition, it was claimed that the degradation of mangroves and wetlands had gone uncontrolled.

According to NatConnect, not even the Bombay high court’s directives to repair the wetlands and mangroves have been followed. Given this, it claimed that the future project will undoubtedly result in catastrophes.

“The careless dumping on mangroves and wetlands is already creating floods in communities and rice fields,” said Nandakumar Pawar, director of Sagarshakti. “This is because the development has impeded the free passage of tidal water and raised land levels for the Dronagiri node.”

“Project proponents could label us doomsayers, but nature has already started to fight back with roads built on mangroves and wetlands growing large gaps and numerous towns struggling from floods,” he continued. The state approved the development of IT-related projects in the zone on February 17.

According to the GR, in addition to a medical school, a hospital, and related infrastructure, the integrated industrial area will also have an industry-academic partnership to promote training and skill development programmes through skill, development centres, research and development centres, training centres, digital centres, information, technology centres, training centres for art, performance, and sports, etc. According to green organisations, all of these will be built on mangroves and wetlands that make up the NMSEZ, and they “won’t be safe.”

“The 289-hectare intertidal Panje wetland, which is also meant to be a holding pond as a flood protection technique, is one of the key locations under dispute. The holding pond will vanish as a result of the holding pond area being designated by CIDCO as a part of the NMSEZ sector 16 to 28, according to Pawar, who also issued a flood warning for the region because there won’t be any land left over to absorb the extra water.

He said, “It is a question of basic knowledge that wetlands work as sponges to hold water and, regrettably, the urban planners lack it. “All mangroves are meant to have been given to the forest department for protection and conservation, according the high court’s September 2018 judgement, however there is no record of the tidal water plants under NMSEZ. “We have not heard anything more,” Pawar said of the chief minister’s request to the Mangrove Cell to examine these marine plants.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Navi Mumbai Cancels Invitations to Newly Elected Corporators for Republic Day Ceremonies

Published

on

School principals to hoist the national flag following administrative delays.

The Flag Hoisting

The Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) has cancelled invitations extended to newly elected corporators for Republic Day flag-hoisting ceremonies in civic schools this year, citing administrative and procedural delays.

Although the municipal elections have concluded, the first general body meeting of the newly elected corporators is yet to take place. In view of this, the NMMC education department has issued revised instructions for the January 26 celebrations across all municipal schools. As per the new directive, school principals will themselves conduct the flag-hoisting ceremonies, and corporators will not be invited to preside over the events.

Officials clarified that any earlier circulars or communications instructing schools to invite corporators should be treated as cancelled. In cases where invitation letters have already been sent, school principals have been directed to inform the concerned corporators about the revised decision and explain the administrative reasons behind the change.

The move has been described as a temporary arrangement until formal procedures related to the newly elected body are completed. The education department has emphasized that the decision is purely administrative and not political in nature.

Despite the change, the NMMC has instructed all schools to ensure that Republic Day celebrations are conducted with full enthusiasm, discipline and respect for national values. Principals have been asked to strictly adhere to the guidelines and ensure smooth conduct of the programme.

The decision has drawn attention as it comes soon after the municipal elections, highlighting the impact of procedural delays on official civic events.

Continue Reading

Latest News

1111-Feet Tricolor Yatra Fills Navi Mumbai with Patriotic Zeal

Published

on

ABVP initiative sees thousands of students participate spontaneously ahead of Republic Day.

The Initiative

Patriotic fervour gripped Navi Mumbai as the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) organised a massive 1,111-feet-long Tricolor Yatra, witnessing spontaneous participation from thousands of students and citizens on the eve of Republic Day.

The yatra was held as part of Youth Week celebrations and to mark the birth anniversary of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, with the objective of inspiring nationalism, unity and social responsibility among the youth. Students marched proudly while holding the enormous national flag, raising slogans such as “Bharat Mata Ki Jai,” “Vande Mataram” and “Jai Hind,” creating an atmosphere charged with patriotic emotion.

The rally began at Blue Diamond Chowk, Vashi, and culminated at Rajiv Gandhi College of Arts, Commerce and Science, Sector 10A, where a short programme was organised. Speakers highlighted the role of students in nation-building and appealed to the youth to actively contribute to society beyond academics.

Prominent attendees included ABVP state minister Rahul Rajoria, sports coordinator Arpita Malik, and college principal Dr Basukinath Pandey, who praised the enthusiasm and discipline shown by the participants. They urged students to uphold constitutional values and remain socially responsible citizens.

The event’s smooth execution was attributed to the efforts of Dr Akshay Shet and more than 100 volunteers. Participants and local residents said the Tricolor Yatra strengthened the sense of unity and national pride, making it a memorable and inspiring pre-Republic Day event for Navi Mumbai.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Garbage Piles Become Major Issue Ahead of Uran Elections

Published

on

With the Uran civic elections approaching, local residents and political observers are raising serious concerns about the persistent garbage problem across the area. Overflowing waste on main roads and traffic lanes has emerged as a key issue in the election campaign, with voters expressing frustration over poor civic management.

Several key thoroughfares in Uran, especially around busy intersections and residential localities, have been seen strewn with garbage that has not been collected for days. Piles of waste are causing traffic disruptions, foul odour and unhygienic conditions, prompting complaints from commuters, shopkeepers and local residents.

Civic activists and opposition leaders have criticised the local administration for its failure to ensure regular garbage collection and proper waste disposal. They say that poor sanitation has not only affected the appearance of the town but also posed health risks, especially during peak summer months.

Residents pointed out that despite repeated assurances from officials, garbage is frequently left uncollected in several areas, leading to water logging and breeding of insects. Many voters have highlighted this issue as a priority concern affecting their daily lives and have demanded immediate action from authorities.

Political parties contesting the Uran elections have responded by promising stricter monitoring of waste collection, improvement in street cleaning, and deployment of more resources for solid waste management.

As election day approaches, garbage disposal and civic cleanliness have become central themes in public discussions, reflecting growing citizen demand for improved basic services and accountable governance.

Continue Reading

Trending