India
Ukraine detaining Indian students to use them as human shields
Amid rising tensions in Ukraine, Russia claims the Ukrainians are keeping a group of Indian students prisoner to use them as human shields.
On Wednesday, Russian President Vladimir Putin spoke by phone with Prime Minister Narendra Modi for the second time in less than a week, revealing to him that Ukrainian soldiers are using Indian students as human shields to gain leverage in the current combat with Russian troops.
Russian President Vladimir Putin further told India that his military was doing all necessary to guarantee that Indian citizens were safely evacuated from the “war zone.”
Putin has asked his troops to arrange “rapid evacuation of a group of Indian students from Kharkov (Kharkiv) through the humanitarian corridor along the shortest path to Russia,” according to the Kremlin’s summary of the call.
“At the same time, according to the most recent information, these students are being held captive by Ukrainian security forces, who are using them as a human shield and preventing them from leaving for Russia in any manner imaginable.” “The Kiev (Kyiv) authorities bear sole responsibility in this issue,” the Kremlin response stated.
PM Modi as well as President Putin spoke many hours after Indians stuck in Kharkiv, Ukraine, were told to leave and go to three places within four hours, including Pesochin, Babaye, and Bezlyudovka, Russia.
Due to the escalating situation, the Indian embassy in Ukraine issued an urgent warning to all Indians in Kharkiv. Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second-biggest city, is currently home to the country’s largest population of Indians.
According to an Indian interpretation of Modi and Putin’s chat, the two discussed the situation in Ukraine, particularly in the districts surrounding Kharkiv, where many Indian students are trapped.
The report stated, “They addressed the safe evacuation of Indian people from crisis zones.”
The Russian envoy notified Indians yesterday that the Russians have agreed to give a safe route via their land.
According to India, no student has been abducted.
In a separate statement, the MEA stated that India had “not received any information of any hostage scenario involving any student” as a result of the conflict in Ukraine. According to the report, the Indian government has demanded that the Ukrainian authorities arrange special trains to transport students out of Kharkiv and its environs.
The Russian Defense Ministry has previously declared that Russian military forces are prepared to take all necessary precautions to ensure the safe evacuation of Indian people.
“And, as offered by the Indian side, transfer them home from Russian territory using Russian military transport flights or Indian jets,” the Russian Defense Ministry stated.
There had been rumors that Zelenskyy’s administration was using citizens as human shields to stop the Russian troops from moving ahead. According to reports, Ukraine has reportedly placed Indian students in a hostage scenario near the Polish border.
Ukraine develops an evacuation hotline.
Ukraine claimed to have established an emergency hotline for African, Asian, and other students desiring to flee Ukraine due to Russia’s military activity, only hours after Russia claimed that Ukrainian forces are using Indians as human shields to protect themselves.
The detained students might call the hotline for a safe escape, according to Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba. He went on to say that they are working hard to secure their safety and expedite the process.
According to the Foreign Ministry, the students were offered the opportunity to leave Ukraine via the Ukrainian-Polish border. “They volunteered to travel into a region where active conflicts are occurring,” according to the statement.
According to sources, over 3,000 students remain trapped in these towns, most of whom are in Kharkiv.
Many Indian students have released recordings alleging that Ukrainian officials are harassing them and preventing them from boarding trains.
No civilians have been used as human shields, according to the US.
However, the US Department of State stated on Wednesday that it has received no verifiable reports of Ukraine employing Indian students as human shields.
These charges, according to the State Department, are frequently utilized in Russian disinformation campaigns.
“We have seen no verifiable reports of these occurrences, and allegations about civilians being utilized as human shields are prevalent in Russian misinformation,” a representative for the US Department of State stated.
Latest News
Residents Urge Ganesh Naik to Relocate Amazon Data Centre Away from Neighborhood
Local citizens express deep concerns over constant noise, extreme heat generation, and safety risks near homes.
The Urge
Growing anxieties over industrial development encroaching on residential peace have prompted local citizens to seek political intervention against a major technology infrastructure project. Residents have formally approached senior leader and MLA Ganesh Naik, urging him to push for the relocation of a proposed Amazon data centre away from their living spaces.
The planned facility has triggered strong pushback from neighboring families who fear the severe, round-the-clock environmental toll of high-density computing infrastructure. Among their primary concerns are the massive cooling systems and heavy-duty backup generators required to run the facility, which residents warn will produce relentless noise pollution and significantly raise local temperatures.
Additionally, community members raised red flags regarding safety risks, the immense drain on local electricity grids, and the overall decline in neighborhood quality of life. Pushing for a sensible resolution, the residents requested Naik to take up the matter with municipal and state authorities to shift the data centre into a designated industrial zone or a non-residential sector.
“Living right next to an industrial-scale facility jeopardizes our peace, safety, and daily living conditions,” expressed a concerned resident, emphasizing that heavy tech infrastructure belongs far from residential quarters.
As public pressure mounts, residents hope local leadership will successfully intervene to protect their community’s environment and residential character.
Latest News
Shiv Sena Opposes Turbhe Waste-to-Energy Project Over Corruption Allegations
Party leaders demand cancellation of the Rs 2,200 crore tender, alleging contractor irregularities and health risks to local residents.
The Project
A major political controversy has erupted around the Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) following strong opposition from Shiv Sena leaders against the proposed Waste-to-Energy project at the Turbhe dumping ground. The project, designed to generate compressed biogas (CBG) from city garbage, has run into severe pushback over claims of massive financial irregularities.
Speaking out on behalf of local communities, Shiv Sena corporator Aniket Mhatre accused municipal officials and political figures of orchestrating a Rs 2,200 crore scam through flawed tender procedures. Party members claim that the selected contractor fails basic eligibility criteria, suggesting that rules were intentionally bypassed during the bidding phase to favor specific interests.
Beyond financial concerns, local leaders highlighted the growing health hazards faced by residents living near the Turbhe site. Pushing for long-term relief, Shiv Sena has urged the Environment Minister to intervene, initiate a formal technical probe into the tender process, and penalize any non-compliant contractors involved.
“We cannot allow public health and civic funds to be compromised,” stated Mhatre, insisting that the entire contract be scrapped and the dumping facility relocated far away from residential zones. With Shiv Sena demanding immediate cancellation of the project, mounting political pressure could force NMMC to re-evaluate its plans for the Turbhe facility.
Latest News
MNS Threatens Protests Over Unpaid Allowances for Navi Mumbai Civic Workers
Party sets deadline for NMMC to clear long-pending dues, warning of citywide agitations if demands remain ignored.
The Protest
A growing dispute over unpaid allowances has pushed municipal sanitation staff, contract workers, and civic employees to the brink of a major showdown with the NMMC. Stepping in on behalf of the struggling workforce, the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) has issued a stern ultimatum to civic authorities: clear the financial backlogs immediately or face aggressive street protests.
For months, essential municipal workers many of whom form the backbone of the city’s daily sanitation and administrative operations have been waiting on crucial arrears. These include pending festival bonuses, hazard allowances, and overtime payments that remain tangled in administrative red tape. Labor leaders allege that despite repeated appeals, municipal leadership and third-party contractors continue to push back payouts, leaving hundreds of low-income families in distress.
Taking up the mantle through its labor union wing, the Maharashtra Navnirman Kamgar Sena, MNS representatives formally handed a memorandum of demands to the NMMC Commissioner. Party leaders warned that patience among the workforce has worn thin.
“These workers keep the city running every single day, yet they have to fight for basic wages and earned allowances,” said a party spokesperson. “If NMMC administration does not settle these dues without further delay, we will take to the streets and shut down operations at headquarters.”
While NMMC officials maintain that administrative procedures are underway to resolve the billing discrepancies, the threat of an imminent agitation leaves Navi Mumbai facing potential disruption to its essential public services.
-
Fact Check6 years agoNidhi Razdan, fake Harvard professorship, and here is the explanation through her blog.
-
India4 years agoAs the arrangement with Prashant Kishor falls through Rahul Gandhi has gone overseas again and is uncontactable
-
Technology5 years agoBSNL reveals all new 4G plans starting at ₹16
-
Latest News5 years agoGovernment has spent ₹9,725 crores on Covid-19 vaccination drive so far
-
Latest News5 years agoTata wins Air India with ₹18,000 crore bid
-
Latest News5 years agoJharkhand government cuts Petrol price by massive ₹25 a litre but with a catch
-
Latest News5 years agoRaj Kundra Gave ₹25 Lakh Bribe to Mumbai Crime Branch to Avoid Arrest
-
Navi Mumbai5 years agoNavi Mumbai civic body raids and tests morning walkers, many found COVID positive
