Connect with us

India

The Chief Ministers of Assam and Meghalaya sign MoU in Delhi

Published

on

Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma and Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad Sangma have inked a deal to end their 50-year-old border conflict. The two Chief Ministers signed the historic MoU on Tuesday at the Ministry of Home Affairs, after being brought together by Home Minister Amit Shah.

CM Conrad Sangma told the media that the five-decade-long conflict had been resolved thanks to the officers’ and political leadership’s collaborative efforts.

“Our state is celebrating its Golden Jubilee this year, and this issue hasn’t gone away after 50 years. As a result, a sizable portion of society, including the leadership, is looking for a solution. I’d want to express my gratitude to all of our committee members, as well as the officers of the Assam and Meghalaya governments. This was made possible by the hard effort of not just the officers, but also the political figures who served as the committee’s chairman “Sangma said.

CM Himanta Biswa Sarma congratulated the leadership and expressed hope that the other six places will be resolved within the next seven months. “Our Home Minister also wants the Assam-Arunachal Pradesh dispute to be resolved. We’ve convened, and 122 disputed zones are being discussed, as well as a roadmap. Our Prime Minister’s vision for the northeast will be realized, and we will contribute to the nation’s output in every manner possible “Sarma remarked.

“The Home Minister’s directives in this regard are crucial. He’s been in touch with us regularly, whether it’s for law and order or development. We’ve also begun discussions with Mizoram’s administration. We want a unified and positive northeast “he continued.

More on the landmark agreement

The states signed the MoU two months after submitting a draught resolution to HM Shah for review and approval on January 31. The governments had drafted a resolution to settle disagreements in six of the 12 “areas of difference” along the 884-kilometer border. Assam will keep 18.51 square kilometers of land and cede the remaining 18.28 square kilometers to Meghalaya, according to the recommended proposals.

When Meghalaya was created from Assam in 1972, conflicting interpretations of the demarcation of boundaries in the initial agreement for the new state’s creation resulted in disagreement.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Residents Urge Ganesh Naik to Relocate Amazon Data Centre Away from Neighborhood

Published

on

Local citizens express deep concerns over constant noise, extreme heat generation, and safety risks near homes.

The Urge

Growing anxieties over industrial development encroaching on residential peace have prompted local citizens to seek political intervention against a major technology infrastructure project. Residents have formally approached senior leader and MLA Ganesh Naik, urging him to push for the relocation of a proposed Amazon data centre away from their living spaces.

The planned facility has triggered strong pushback from neighboring families who fear the severe, round-the-clock environmental toll of high-density computing infrastructure. Among their primary concerns are the massive cooling systems and heavy-duty backup generators required to run the facility, which residents warn will produce relentless noise pollution and significantly raise local temperatures.

Additionally, community members raised red flags regarding safety risks, the immense drain on local electricity grids, and the overall decline in neighborhood quality of life. Pushing for a sensible resolution, the residents requested Naik to take up the matter with municipal and state authorities to shift the data centre into a designated industrial zone or a non-residential sector.

“Living right next to an industrial-scale facility jeopardizes our peace, safety, and daily living conditions,” expressed a concerned resident, emphasizing that heavy tech infrastructure belongs far from residential quarters.

As public pressure mounts, residents hope local leadership will successfully intervene to protect their community’s environment and residential character.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Shiv Sena Opposes Turbhe Waste-to-Energy Project Over Corruption Allegations

Published

on

Party leaders demand cancellation of the Rs 2,200 crore tender, alleging contractor irregularities and health risks to local residents.

The Project

A major political controversy has erupted around the Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) following strong opposition from Shiv Sena leaders against the proposed Waste-to-Energy project at the Turbhe dumping ground. The project, designed to generate compressed biogas (CBG) from city garbage, has run into severe pushback over claims of massive financial irregularities.

Speaking out on behalf of local communities, Shiv Sena corporator Aniket Mhatre accused municipal officials and political figures of orchestrating a Rs 2,200 crore scam through flawed tender procedures. Party members claim that the selected contractor fails basic eligibility criteria, suggesting that rules were intentionally bypassed during the bidding phase to favor specific interests.

Beyond financial concerns, local leaders highlighted the growing health hazards faced by residents living near the Turbhe site. Pushing for long-term relief, Shiv Sena has urged the Environment Minister to intervene, initiate a formal technical probe into the tender process, and penalize any non-compliant contractors involved.

“We cannot allow public health and civic funds to be compromised,” stated Mhatre, insisting that the entire contract be scrapped and the dumping facility relocated far away from residential zones. With Shiv Sena demanding immediate cancellation of the project, mounting political pressure could force NMMC to re-evaluate its plans for the Turbhe facility.

Continue Reading

Latest News

MNS Threatens Protests Over Unpaid Allowances for Navi Mumbai Civic Workers

Published

on

Party sets deadline for NMMC to clear long-pending dues, warning of citywide agitations if demands remain ignored.

The Protest

A growing dispute over unpaid allowances has pushed municipal sanitation staff, contract workers, and civic employees to the brink of a major showdown with the NMMC. Stepping in on behalf of the struggling workforce, the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) has issued a stern ultimatum to civic authorities: clear the financial backlogs immediately or face aggressive street protests.

For months, essential municipal workers many of whom form the backbone of the city’s daily sanitation and administrative operations have been waiting on crucial arrears. These include pending festival bonuses, hazard allowances, and overtime payments that remain tangled in administrative red tape. Labor leaders allege that despite repeated appeals, municipal leadership and third-party contractors continue to push back payouts, leaving hundreds of low-income families in distress.

Taking up the mantle through its labor union wing, the Maharashtra Navnirman Kamgar Sena, MNS representatives formally handed a memorandum of demands to the NMMC Commissioner. Party leaders warned that patience among the workforce has worn thin.

“These workers keep the city running every single day, yet they have to fight for basic wages and earned allowances,” said a party spokesperson. “If NMMC administration does not settle these dues without further delay, we will take to the streets and shut down operations at headquarters.”

While NMMC officials maintain that administrative procedures are underway to resolve the billing discrepancies, the threat of an imminent agitation leaves Navi Mumbai facing potential disruption to its essential public services.

Continue Reading

Trending