India
India on high alert over new Covid ‘AY. 4.2’ variant
A new mutated form (AY.4.2) of the coronavirus has caused panic in Europe as it’s presumably more contagious than Delta is present in India “in very low numbers”, said scientists of the INSACOG network monitoring variations in SARS-CoV-2. AY.4.2 is suspected to be the cause for the exponential rise in Covid-19 cases in the UK, Russia (a lockdown will start in Moscow next week) and Israel last week.
However, scientists say the AY.4.2-related findings still carry a high level of uncertainty, and it is still early to say this lineage carries a higher risk of illness and/or death. On October 21, the US Centers for Diseases Control said it has less than 10 reported cases of AY.4.2 in its database so far, but the UK health authorities have found 15,120 cases of VUI-21OCT-01—the other name for AY.4.2—since it was first detected in July.
Dr Anurag Agrawal, director at CSIR Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (IGIB) in Delhi, said, “AY.4.2 is present in India based on the revised definition, but at very low numbers, less than 0.1%.” IGIB is one of the main laboratories involved in the INSACOG genomic surveillance exercise.
Dr Agrawal said further details and the exact number of AY.4.2 in India would be available soon. AY.4.2 is a descendant of the Delta variant, which has so far been considered the most dangerous form, affecting millions.
The lineage AY.4 was considered the fastest growing in many continents, including India, in the last three months until the UK health authorities earlier this week announced the spread of AY.4.2.
INPUT: NP
Latest News
Tragic Loss in Airoli, Safety Negligence Kills Two Construction Workers
A snapped crane wire triggers a fatal fall on-site, prompting police charges against engineers and operators.
The Tragic Incident
A routine workday turned into a devastating tragedy at a high-rise construction site in Airoli Sector 20, where two workers lost their lives following a catastrophic equipment failure.
The deceased have been identified as 41-year-old Bobby Roy from Bihar and 34-year-old Rahul Mishra from Uttar Pradesh. Both men were working on the ground floor when a heavy steel beam being lifted by a tower crane toward the sixth floor suddenly plummeted toward them after a crane wire rope snapped under heavy tension. The sheer impact left both workers with fatal injuries before help could arrive.
Subsequent investigations and CCTV footage revealed glaring safety lapses at the site. Authorities noted that the management failed to enforce basic safety protocols: no barricades were set up around the dangerous lifting zone, and workers were permitted to stand directly underneath heavy overhead loads.
Following the incident, Rabale Police filed a formal case against the crane operator, site supervisor, and site management authorities. Charges have been brought under laws governing death by negligence. As legal notices are served to those responsible, the tragic event serves as a stark reminder of the human cost paid when workplace safety takes a back seat to progress.
Latest News
Wheels of Corruption? ₹729-Crore Turbhe Waste Project Under Fire
Opposition demands probe after BJP leader is linked to a luxury Mercedes registered hours before a massive civic contract was awarded.
The Project
A massive political storm has erupted in the Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) after explosive allegations linked a high-end Mercedes-Benz car to the city’s Rs 729-crore Turbhe Waste-to-Energy project.
Opposition corporators from the Shiv Sena (Shinde faction) stormed a recent civic meeting wearing paper protest jackets emblazoned with anti-corruption slogans. At the heart of the uproar is BJP leader Sagar Naik, whom opposition members accuse of using a luxury Mercedes valued at nearly Rs 1.5 crore, allegedly owned by R&B Greentech the firm awarded the lucrative waste-processing contract.
What raised immediate eyebrows is the timeline. Opponents claim the vehicle was registered just 24 hours before NMMC officially handed over the Rs 729-crore work order. Pointing to the suspicious timing, opposition leaders are calling for Naik’s resignation alongside high-level investigations by the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB), Income Tax Department, and judicial authorities.
Naik, however, firmly denied any wrongdoing, calling the accusations a politically motivated smear campaign aimed at misleading the public. While acknowledging he has occasionally driven the vehicle, he challenged his critics to produce concrete proof to investigative agencies or face legal defamation proceedings.
As the municipal hall cooled down, the question remains whether civic authorities will initiate an independent probe into the tender process. For Navi Mumbai residents, a project meant to clean up the city’s waste has instead left a foul smell in local politics.
Latest News
Navi Mumbai Residents Demand Better Sanitation
Growing anger over filthy public restrooms and broken promises sparks intense debate at recent municipal meeting.
The Demand
For thousands of daily commuters and local shoppers in Navi Mumbai, finding a clean public washroom has become a daily struggle. What was promised as modern urban infrastructure has turned into a source of frustration, sparking heated debates at a recent Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) meeting.
Across several nodes, public and community toilets suffer from utter neglect broken doors, missing taps, foul odors, and filthy conditions. High-tech “e-toilets,” once touted as a step into the future, lie abandoned or vandalized, their coin boxes stolen and interiors damaged. For women, senior citizens, and daily wage earners, the lack of usable sanitation is no longer just an inconvenience; it is a serious dignity and health issue.
Adding to the outrage, residents and civic activists pointed out that several facilities have been built directly inside neighborhood gardens and playgrounds, eating up precious open space while offering little usable utility in return. Citizens have voiced sharp concern over tax money being wasted on stalled maintenance contracts and ill-conceived projects.
In response to the rising public anger, officials are reconsidering their strategy. The civic body is looking to move away from fragile automated units and return to well-staffed traditional facilities. Plans are also underway to partner with local non-profits and leverage corporate funding to ensure daily upkeep. However, for residents waiting for relief, clean and accessible toilets cannot come soon enough.
-
Fact Check6 years agoNidhi Razdan, fake Harvard professorship, and here is the explanation through her blog.
-
India4 years agoAs the arrangement with Prashant Kishor falls through Rahul Gandhi has gone overseas again and is uncontactable
-
Technology5 years agoBSNL reveals all new 4G plans starting at ₹16
-
Latest News5 years agoGovernment has spent ₹9,725 crores on Covid-19 vaccination drive so far
-
Latest News5 years agoTata wins Air India with ₹18,000 crore bid
-
Latest News5 years agoJharkhand government cuts Petrol price by massive ₹25 a litre but with a catch
-
Latest News5 years agoRaj Kundra Gave ₹25 Lakh Bribe to Mumbai Crime Branch to Avoid Arrest
-
Navi Mumbai5 years agoNavi Mumbai civic body raids and tests morning walkers, many found COVID positive
