India
5G auction will take place on time and on schedule : Ashwini Vaishnaw
Minister for Communications Ashwini Vaishnaw said on Monday that the 5G spectrum auction will take place on time and within the specified deadline.
His statement comes as the telecom regulator Trai’s 5G recommendations on spectrum price and other subtleties, which were due to be released by the end of March, has been pushed back a few days too early April.
“Absolutely,” Vaishnaw responded when asked if the 5G auction will take place on time.
On the sidelines of the 2nd national conference on cybercrime investigation and digital forensics, he spoke with the media.
The spectrum auctions are set to take place in 2022 to let private telecom operators bring out 5G mobile services in 2022-23.
The views of Trai on the 5G auction and related intricacies are critical because they will serve as building blocks for the auctions and subsequent rollout of fifth-generation services, ushering in ultra-high-speed and spawning new-age services and business models.
The recommendations (on 5G spectrum price and other modalities) will be released within the next 7-10 days, according to a senior Trai official who told PTI on March 29.
The telecom regulator produced a lengthy consultation paper in November of last year to examine the modalities for auctioning spectrum across several bands, including pricing, quantum, and other criteria, laying the framework for impending 5G auctions.
Trai’s 207-page consultation paper posed 74 questions for industry-wide debate, including topics such as 5G spectrum valuation and reserve price, spectrum quantum, block size, auction eligibility requirements, rollout obligations, spectrum cap, and spectrum surrender.
In addition to bands like 700 MHz, 800 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 2100 MHz, 2300 MHz, 2500 MHz, and 3300-3670 MHz, norms will be developed for additional frequencies such as 526-698 MHz and the millimeter band, which is 24.25-28.5 GHz.
Industry players have been making a strong plea for cheaper spectrum prices as the government prepares for the major auction.
In Delhi, Mumbai, Jamnagar, Ahmedabad, Kolkata, Chennai, Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Lucknow, Gurugram, Gandhinagar, Chandigarh, Pune, and Varanasi, covering urban, semi-urban, and rural locations, telecom service providers are conducting 5G testing.
Latest News
Navi Mumbai Electoral Roll Update: Over 3.84 Lakh Voters Await Digital Verification
Civic administration completes processing of forms received by August 18 as residents prepare to verify their registration status on upcoming draft lists.
The Verification
The Special Intense Revision (SIR) drive to update electoral rolls across Navi Mumbai concluded recently, with local authorities finalizing the initial round of data collection. Administrative records show that out of 9,19,697 registered voters across the Airoli and Belapur assembly constituencies, 5,35,214 enumeration forms were digitally processed. Meanwhile, approximately 3,84,483 forms remain pending in the digital registration phase.
Field reports indicate that verification teams faced various logistical challenges during door-to-door visits in neighborhoods like Ghansoli, Koparkhairane, Digha, and Turbhe. Unavailability of residents, locked homes, and delays in returning completed enumeration forms contributed to lower collection rates in specific pockets. In response, municipal authorities organized special local camps and coordinated with political representatives to boost outreach efforts before the submission deadline.
With initial form collection closed, civic officials clarified that additional submissions will no longer be accepted for this phase, shifting attention to the upcoming publication of the draft voter list.
Citizens looking to check their voter status or file corrections can visit the Chief Electoral Officer, Maharashtra Portal or access the central Election Commission of India Voters’ Service Portal to verify their details, submit claims, or track upcoming electoral roll revisions.
Latest News
4 Robbers Break Into House, Hold Woman at Knifepoint in Ulwe
Intruders enter through the roof in Gavhan village, fleeing with gold and cash worth Rs 9 lakh.
The Robbery
What was meant to be a peaceful night’s sleep turned into a terrifying ordeal for 53-year-old Shevanti Koli. In the early hours of Tuesday, four unidentified robbers broke into her home in Patil Ali, Gavhan village, holding her at knifepoint before fleeing with valuables worth around Rs 9 lakh.
At around 2:30 AM, while Shevanti was sleeping alone, the intruders made their way inside by quietly removing roof tiles and climbing through the kitchen. Woken by suspicious noises, Shevanti attempted to call for help. However, the men quickly cornered her, brandishing a knife and threatening to take her life if she made a sound.
Terrified and forced into silence, Shevanti could only watch as the group ransacked her home. The robbers grabbed five tolas of gold jewellery along with Rs 2 lakh in cash before disappearing into the dark.
The incident has left the local community shaken, raising fresh concerns over nighttime security in the area.
Ulwe Police and Crime Branch teams have registered a case under relevant sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS). Investigators are actively analyzing nearby CCTV footage and technical evidence to identify the suspects and trace their escape route.
Latest News
Tragedy on Thane-Belapur Road, Hit-and-Run Claims Lives of Son-in-Law and Father-in-Law
A quiet evening commute turned into a devastating loss for a Khairane village family as police search for the fleeing driver.
The Accident
What was meant to be a routine Wednesday evening commute ended in a heartbreaking loss for a family in Khairane village. Raj Pancham Jaiswar, 42, and his 61-year-old father-in-law, Shivmurat Ramlochan Jaiswal, lost their lives following a hit-and-run accident on the busy Thane-Belapur Road.
Around 7:15 PM, Raj was riding his TVS Scooty toward Thane with Shivmurat seated behind him. Near the drain below Khairane Bridge in Pawane MIDC, a speeding vehicle slammed into their scooter from behind. The severe impact threw both men onto the road, leaving them critically injured.
Instead of stopping to help or calling for emergency services, the driver sped away from the scene. Passersby helped rush both men to a nearby municipal hospital, but tragically, doctors declared them dead on arrival.
The sudden loss of two family members has left the local community in deep shock and grief. Turbhe Police have launched an investigation to trace the unidentified vehicle and driver. A case has been registered under relevant sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) and the Motor Vehicles Act for rash and negligent driving causing death. Officials are reviewing CCTV footage and appealing to anyone who witnessed the accident to step forward with information.
-
Fact Check6 years agoNidhi Razdan, fake Harvard professorship, and here is the explanation through her blog.
-
India4 years agoAs the arrangement with Prashant Kishor falls through Rahul Gandhi has gone overseas again and is uncontactable
-
Technology5 years agoBSNL reveals all new 4G plans starting at ₹16
-
Latest News5 years agoGovernment has spent ₹9,725 crores on Covid-19 vaccination drive so far
-
Latest News5 years agoTata wins Air India with ₹18,000 crore bid
-
Latest News5 years agoJharkhand government cuts Petrol price by massive ₹25 a litre but with a catch
-
Latest News5 years agoRaj Kundra Gave ₹25 Lakh Bribe to Mumbai Crime Branch to Avoid Arrest
-
Navi Mumbai5 years agoNavi Mumbai civic body raids and tests morning walkers, many found COVID positive
